One of the most powerful things that I witnessed in Zambia is the power of Christ to set prisoners free. One of my favorite passages of Scripture is Isaiah 61 which says
"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners."
These orphans in Zambia are living in darkness and are captives of the lies of the enemy. They have nightmares. There are witch doctors in every town that are putting curses on these children and claiming them for Satan. There are enemies within the houses...caregivers that choose to verbally and physically abuse the children that have been entrusted to them. Why would these children believe that they have any value in God's kingdom? Why would they believe that anyone could love them?
On Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday we sang a song called Freedom. Greer had warned us that we might possibly see some demonic activity during this song. At the beginning of the song, we would go down the row and pray over each child. The verse in the song says "I cry freedom from the chains that bind Your children, freedom from the chains that bind our praises, freedom from the lies of the enemy, Freedom, we cry, freedom, freedom, freedom..." Well, you can imagine that Satan doesn't want freedom for these children. Demonic activity is rampant in Zambia. As we prayed over children and sang this song, some of them fell down and started convulsing. Immediately Zambians and Americans would begin to lay hands and pray over these children. Many of these children had demons and they needed to be cast out in Jesus' name. We would pray for awhile and once the child stopped convulsing they would carry them to the "deliverance room". Zambians would continue to pray over these children. Our translators would show up late for our small group session and say "I'm so sorry I'm late. I was in the deliverance room exorcising some demons." This is real life for Zambian Christians! This is one of the reasons that they are so bold. They believe in the power of Christ to set prisoners free. Do we believe like that?
It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1
I can't put into words everything that happened during the week. I had girls in my group that have had nightmares for years, and once they started declaring "The Lord is my Shepherd", the nightmares stopped.
For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 2 Cor. 3:17
Here's a video from Camp Life 2007. This video is so powerful and it shows how we would pray over each child. I think the video can explain it more clearly than I ever could. I hope the power of the words in this song minister to you and that you realize that Christ set us free. We do not need to be held captive to ANYTHING any longer.
Here is the link to YouTube if you can't view it here.
Camp Life Freedom Video
Monday, July 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
OH Alicia-
I can only imagine your heart and how it feels right now. Because I have tears streaming. AMAZING!
I also have to add that Eliza watched the video with me and by then end she was jumping in my lap with her arms in the air... OH WHAT FREEDOM WE HAVE!!!
Powerful.
Intense.
Thank you SO much for going in His name, and I want to personally thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I await eagerly for the next installment, and it has touched me powerfully. I have known the Psalms the Lord is my shephard since before I could even read but never truly knew the power those 5 words have! I will never take it for granted again. THANK YOU!
Post a Comment