Monday, January 18, 2010

A Second Slice of Humble Pie

When we stepped off the plane in Ethiopia, I immediately smelled that familiar smell. Africa....I didn't know if it would smell that way in Uganda and Ethiopia, but it is a burning and wood type of smell. Some of my wooden items from Zambia smelled that way for awhile, but now, they just smell like America. But I wanted to kiss the ground when we landed in Ethiopia on December 31st, because the smell was there. I knew God had great things in store because He had already given me a familiar smell that brought joy to my heart.

What I didn't expect was all the burning in Uganda to bother my lungs...but it did. It started with a tickle in my throat and then it led to a cough. I knew what was happening...I was getting bronchitis. I rarely get sick. I haven't taken an antiobiotic since 1999 and even then it was as a precaution when we were going through invitro. I've had bronchitis two times that I can remember clearly and both times it was triggered by allergies that got out of control. I debated taking some allergy medicine, but I didn't really think that would help. I was wishing that I had an inhaler...but I don't normally need one, so who would've thought to ask for one. So I fought it for awhile and finally I decided that I needed to start my antibiotic. It hurt to cough....it hurt to breathe...I felt like someone was stepping on my chest. I held off on the antiobiotic because I thought it might give me stomach problems and honestly, no one wants to be in Africa with stomach problems. Some places just have squatty pottys. Yuck!

I didn't want to miss Monday's activities. The team was going to feed the Karamojong tribe and then off to Canaan's Children's Home. I didn't want to miss both and I really debated if I just didn't have enough faith that I could survive the day. But I felt terrible. I had a fever even though I was pretending I didn't. Tabby came back from the morning meeting and told me that Nate and Simon (team leaders) were coming back to pick up the craft bags before Canaan's. That was my answer. I would rest in the morning and then head to Canaan's in the afternoon.

And so, I stayed in the bed and cried. I was sad for what I was missing. I was sad because I felt so crummy. I was sad that I really just wanted to be home in the safe arms of my husband. I was sad that maybe I didn't have enough faith to believe that God could've given me the strength to make it through the entire day. And so I cried and I wept in that bed at Kingfisher Resort. And God grabbed my heart and reminded me that there were children all over this country and all over the world who don't have anyone to hold them when they're sick. No one to tuck them in and pray that they would feel better tomorrow. I was popping advil like it was candy to keep the fever down, but many around the world are without any medication at all and a simple fever lands them in the hospital or ends their sweet life at an early age. Where was my faith? God was calling me to suffer for a short time....just a day really. And so, since I knew I had no right to complain. I accepted the tiny suffering of bronchitis in Africa. I asked the Lord to forgive me and to give me a heart of compassion and kindness for those who have so little. I have so much. And so, I willingly ate my second helping of humble pie.

The Karamojong visit was the highlight of the trip for some of the team. There was a bit of sadness to hear them talk about how their hearts had been broken. But my sweet God had something very different and very special planned for me on Monday afternoon. I would've missed it if I would've gone on the trip on Monday morning. More tomorrow....

The mind of man plans his way, BUT the LORD directs his steps.
Proverbs 16:9
Man's steps are ordained by the LORD, how then can man understand his way?
Proverbs 20:24

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Can't wait to see what this special surprise what that God had for you that day...