Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Broken Heart Once Again

Sunday in Uganda. We weren't leaving for church until 9:30, so we had some extra time in the morning. Tabby and I bought our bottles of Coca Cola and headed down to the lake after breakfast. Uganda is beautiful. It's a lush country--at least in Jinja where we were.


As I read the Bible and prayed, I found two verses that I wrote in my journal.
Psalm 9:18-19
For the needy will not always be forgotten. Nor the hope of the afflicted perish forever.

Zechariah 7:9-10
Dispense true justice and practice kindness and compassion each to his brother; and do not oppress the widow or the orphan, the stranger or the poor; and do not devise evil in your hearts against one another.


I asked God for a heart of kindness and compassion. I asked Him to break my heart for what breaks His. My heart was so broken on my first trip to Africa that I really didn't know if I could have the same intensity of a broken heart. Well, God heard my prayer that day.

We headed to Pastor Isaac's church (more about him tomorrow). There is freedom in African church services. The service ran from 10-1 and was fabulous. Papa Duck (Jesse) got to share and also Dr. Josh. I loved getting to hear from them and how God was moving within our group.

After church we headed to Canaan's Children's Home (an orphanage in Uganda). We were told that some of the children were with family for the holidays, so there were only about 40 that would be there. We arrived and there were so many more than 40. Lots of children from the village had come to see "Mzungus (white people)". The children grab your hands before you get off the bus and start loving on you and walking you over to seats. It is just precious.




And then you sit and begin to wonder about their stories. Gloria, who is just a beautiful girl. What will her future be? Why is she here? She wrote God and Gloria on her paper. So tender, so ready and willing to be used of the Lord. Use her in a mighty way, Lord.


Gustav...a talented artist. He has so much potential. Will he have the opportunities to fulfill his giftedness? Lord, I hope so.



I looked into their eyes and some had happy eyes, but some were sad. Those eyes would pierce straight to your heart. The kids were scattered. Some doing crafts and some playing soccer and then this little boy appeared at my side. Severely burned all over his face. He didn't have a nose. My heart felt like it had been crushed into a million pieces. I wanted to take his picture so desperately, just so I could remember the moment. Break my heart for what breaks God. I believe the wickedness of our world and the sickness and adversity these children have to face breaks the heart of God. The children love for you to take their picture and then show it to them on the screen. I couldn't take his picture because I honestly didn't know if he knew what he looked like and I didn't want to be the one to show him. Tears welled in my eyes as I told him of the love of God. He just looked straight through me. I didn't know if he understood or if the pain was just so deep that the words couldn't penetrate to his heart. I loved on him for a few moments and then as quickly as he appeared, he was just as quickly gone. I didn't see him again before I left Canaan's that day. My heart was broken. I went back to the room and just cried for this boy. What happened to him? Who did this? Was it an accident? God, this just doesn't seem fair?

God answered my prayer that Sunday in Uganda. He broke my heart for the children of Uganda. He gave me a love for them and an understanding that this life in Uganda is not easy. They have endured more adversity in their lifetime than I have in my 37 years of life. I pray that God will take the adversity and turn their ashes into beauty and give them an incredible and powerful testimony that will draw others to Christ. He is our only hope!

No comments: