As I was driving slowly to Cool Springs because it was pouring rain, I prayed that God would hold off the rain in Haiti. Can you imagine...all those that are sleeping outside...how horrible if rain comes? I had heard that if the rain comes, the disease will spread all that more quickly. So pray with me, that God will hold back the rain clouds from falling on Haiti. Instead may His Spirit pour down on Haiti.
I turned on the radio and got to hear James MacDonald talking about his recent trip to Haiti. If you know me well, you know I love James MacDonald. He talked about the devastation in Haiti and while blankets and food and water are crucial, who is helping the church in Haiti? He went down there and ministered to church leaders and seminary/Bible professors. He told the story of one Bible college professor who was teaching 2nd year seminary students on the 2nd floor. His wife was teaching first year students on the first floor and when the earthquake hit, the 2nd floor fell and killed all the first year students including his wife. When James talked to him, this professor was comforting his 4 year daughter as they had just buried a wife and a mother. Oh Lord, please send your mercy and comfort to this man! James MacDonald and Mark Driscoll set up a website called Churches Helping Churches. Please go there and listen to the song, "Who Will Rise Up?" I tried to figure out how to get the video on my blog, but I don't think it can be copied. The song and the video are so powerful. Jason Ingram (Chip Ingram's son) from Fellowship Bible wrote the words and music and Lindsay McCaul from Harvest Bible Chapel sang the lyrics. It is beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time.
A mission trip slows you down and makes you discern His voice more clearly. When I dropped off the blankets I got to talk to Jen from Sweet Sleep for a little while. I got back in my car and immediately felt the prompting "give her everything in your wallet". I doubted the prompting. I had a decent amount of money in my wallet...it wasn't like it was just $5. I started to pray, "God if this is from you, give me confirmation" and then I stopped. I thought, "Who else would this be from? Of course, God prompted me." I opened my wallet, pulled out the cash, folded it up and quickly handed it to Jen and drove away. I don't tell you this to receive some kind of credit, because honestly I'm ashamed that I debated what to do. I'm ashamed that I didn't give more freely and that I thought about how much money was in my wallet. Seriously, how ridiculous were those thoughts. But I didn't allow the guilt to stay, I thanked God for the opportunity to give and that I obeyed (sometimes I don't).

So, the question remains. Who Will Rise Up? Will the church rise up and take its place among this tragedy? We should pray. We should give...money, blankets, beds, water, food, etc. We should go. We should help rebuild. We should help encourage those that need encouragement. We should go and tell the Good News of Christ. We should help train the nationals so that they can develop godly leaders in every town of their nation.
Church...will you rise up and take your place? I don't want to miss out on the blessings that will come when we obey Him...the one and only true God!
So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6:10



4 comments:
I agree Alicia...let's rise up!!! My brother is going there in 2 weeks. They told him there is typhoid fever, TB that is risistant to antibiotic. HIV and 90 degree temps with decompossing bodies. Then they asked"Do you still want to go"? He said,YES!!!
who will rise up?
my thoughts exactly all day today …
I am just sick over what I'm feeling …
everywhere I turned in my Bible today Jesus was talking about how hard it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom and how faith without works is dead and in reading James 2:1-4, how do we read that and not see our own church Alicia???
There was NO MENTION of the people of Haiti on Sunday. That broke my heart and I wondered if it broke God's heart too.
Could we not have spared a moment to pray for them? No!!! We were too busy praying for OURSELVES, praying about how there are no jobs, unemployment, difficult bosses, BLAH BLAH BLAH.
I am just so weary … I cry out to God to remove our family from this and take us somewhere where His heart is evident in the people but all I hear is silence.
I wish I knew what He was up to in this broken pot that is me.
I meant to say "leaders" not people. His heart is clearly evident in many of the people, and I know His heart is in the leaders … but I still wonder what is going on when this past Sunday we didn't just pray for Haiti and God's beloved children there.
He tells us to minister to His children who are hurting and to PRAY for them. We missed an invitation from the King Himself last Sunday … and it really made me sad and mad too.
I know my bitterness is not from God either …
Our church isn't perfect, but there is no perfect church. We will be taking up a love offering for Haiti this Sunday.
May we continue to seek God daily and see how He wants us to best serve Him.
Post a Comment