
God ordained so many details of my Monday in Uganda. I don't even know where to start. If you remember from my previous post, I spent Monday morning in the bed. Simon and Nathan picked me up probably around 12:30 or 1. Simon was sweet and ordered me some pineapple juice and Pastor Isaac was waiting for us in his truck/jeep/land rover...can't remember what it was.
I knew of Pastor Isaac's testimony, but would later get to hear it first hand from his mouth (what a blessing!! I'll share more about that tomorrow).
I was excited because Beth who works for Exile International would be taking the children through a process of healing. We had done something similar just by talking and praying with the orphans in Zambia. I was excited to see this happen and excited for what it would mean in the lives of these children.
Canaan's Children's Home has 104 children living there, but there were only about 40-45 there on that Monday. The others were visiting family for the holidays. Maybe their family can't afford to keep them all year long, but they at least get to go home for a period for Christmas. It made me a little sad for these 40 that were left behind. Were they true orphans without any family? Was their situation so desperate that they couldn't return home for Christmas? Or were they just unwanted and the family wouldn't have them? So many emotions rolling through my head that day.
So I expected that I would connect with a younger child because my kids are 10, 8 and 7. I thought maybe there's a 5 or 6 year old girl that needs a forever family. She would fit right in with my family. BUT GOD...oh my sweet Lord had other plans for me.
I was sitting with some younger children and at some point I got up to get my camera or something and Simon and Amanda ended up with those children, so I searched for a spot where no one was interacting with some kids and I landed myself in front of a 13year old boy named Joel.
They were supposed to draw a sad time in their life and also draw God in the picture to show that God was there with them. He is always with us! We were then supposed to discuss their picture. Joel told me that his dad died of AIDS when he was 7. I since learned that his mother has passed away as well from AIDS. My heart broke for this boy because what boy doesn't want a daddy. Caroline was sitting next to Joel and she was very shy. I had to really work to get some information out of her, but she told me that she was sad "when they beat me". She might have told me more details...honestly, I can't remember. I was trying my best to compose myself and not become a weepy mess on the floor. If you know me well, you can tell I've been crying in this picture.

I want to scoop these children up and rescue them from their hurts and sadness, but honestly that's God's job! He can bring healing to a hurting heart in ways that I cannot. Through Bethany's words and art, I hope they took the first step.
They were then told to talk about their dreams. What do you they want to do when they get older, etc.? Joel wants to be an engineer.

Joel captured my heart that day in Uganda. I asked Pastor Isaac about him. Joel has a brother too that I didn't get to meet.
I spent a lot of the day with Joel...sitting with him as he drew...watching him get his feet washed and getting a new pair of flip flops.
We got separated at some point, but as we were preparing to leave, he found me. He asked if I would come back to visit him, I told him that I would try my hardest. I wanted to promise him yes, but I didn't want to make a promise that I couldn't keep. If God allows, I will be back in December to visit Canaan's.
I told Joel that his name was in the Bible. Did he know that? I have a thing about Bible names because they tell such a story (did you already know that...my children are Stephen, Matthew and Elizabeth...all Bible names)
As we drove away from Canaan's, God reminded me of the verse that talks about restoring the years the locusts have stolen. I wondered...is this verse in Joel because I think God just reminded me of this verse for Joel. So when we got back to our room, I found the book of Joel and I went to 2:25 because I was pretty sure that was the reference and this is what I found.
And I will restore to you the years the locust has eaten...
A promise for Joel from the book of Joel. May God give back to Joel what Satan has stolen. May God turn into good what Satan intended for evil. May Joel grow and serve the Lord and use his sadness to point others to a God that comforts us during our trials. I don't know Joel's future, but I want to be a part of it. Whether we sponsor him monthly or maybe someday he will sit at our Thanksgiving table whether he's part of our forever family or if he's just visiting us on vacation. What is the best thing for Joel and his brother? It might not be to bring them to America. I really don't know. All I know is that a 13 year old boy stole my heart and that I think about him a lot.
I missed the Karamojong tribe Monday morning, but God instead gave me a sweet boy named Joel who captured my heart. I am so thankful to our Lord and Savior.



4 comments:
Alicia....I am in tears. I tried and tried to get that precious little girl to open up...but God had a plan in that...Sometimes a girl needs a mommy to open up to...and you came over at the most perfect time. Hope to see you Friday night!
Also for those that are wanting to help please visit the Exile website (link in post) to see all the many ways you can help these children..so they are able to tell their stories and help their heartache.
Precious. I hope to meet Joel. I would love for God's plan to put Joel right into one of the most amazing families I know and love. I am praying for Joel and for you, and crying with you too now. ;)
Love,
Tracey
Crying tears with you for precious, Joel. God... help us to see and live your plan for him.
Wow, Alicia. Not only were you blessed but Joel was blessed to sit by the hands and feet of Jesus that day. Now I'm a snotty mess...
~H
Post a Comment