I went to the dentist yesterday and had to have two fillings replaced. Fun times! I haven't had any dental work done since I was probably 10 or 11 years old. I am so thankful for a great dentist. He was gentle and kind and while he was numbing my mouth, he started talking about Disney. If you know me well, you know that I love to talk some Disney. Turns out we'll actually be there at the same time this year, but he told me about some yummy foods that I have obviously been missing when I go to Disney. I will be trying them this year!
And while he was working in my mouth and there was absolutely no way for me to talk, he starts talking about Sunday being Orphan Sunday and how his pastor taught on orphans and adoption and so on and so on. He tells me that he's thought about adoption more than he ever had after that sermon and how the church needs to rise up and take some ownership of all the orphans (143 million) in the world. I read a statistic that if only 7% of Christians would adopt, there wouldn't be any orphans left in the world. Obviously, some orphans aren't available for adoption...I understand that, but the statistic is still staggering. Doing something does make a difference!
The craziest thing though was being in that chair and not being able to say anything. I was about to come out of my skin because obviously I have lots of thoughts on orphans, adoption and missions. And I thought as I left that so many times, the enemy has us in that exact position where we remain silent--whether by choice or because of fear or because of circumstance.
Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.
Proverbs 31:8-9
Friday, November 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
This was a great post and I am still giggling thinking about you with your mouth full of instruments saying with all your might, "wha, wha wha, wha wha wha whaaa." In true Charlie Brown teacher dialect, of course!
~H
Post a Comment