I'm thankful today because
I got to sleep until 7 a.m.!
Derek is coming home from Nicaragua this afternoon. We have missed him terribly and can't wait to see him and hear about his trip!
God spared my dad's life this week. He had a mild heart attack this week and it could have been so much worse, but God still has plans for him here.
My parents are in a great Sunday School class at church. I saw church happen this week as the class poured out their love at the hospital, through phone calls, emails, etc. This is how the church family should function. They should love so deeply that when a church family member is hurting, they offer to come home early from their vacation if need be. As I watched this all unfold this week, it challenged me to make sure that I am loving others more than myself. Would I offer to come home early from vacation? Would I drop everything to run to the hospital to be there in time of need? The bar has been set high, but I can guarantee that my parents know they are loved and that this Sunday School class "did church" this week and that Christ is smiling down on them.
God creates families in all different kinds of ways. Through family, through church, through adoption. When God blessed us with Matthew and Elizabeth, he blessed us with incredible birth grandparents. Tears came to my eyes this week as my boys received cards and money from Ken and Jeanne. They were congratulating them on their baptisms. Let me just brag a few minutes on Ken and Jeanne (paternal birth grandparents). They have embraced our family...not just us, but Stephen as well. They consistently send cards to all three kids for each holiday. I don't think Jeanne ever misses one. My kids get so excited to receive this mail. I'm amazed at how God unites hearts. Sometimes it's people that you don't expect. Sometimes he uses a trial (infertility in our case) to bring incredible blessings. We are not just thankful for Stephen, Matthew and Elizabeth, but for the "extra family" that came with them. Thanks Ken and Jeanne! You're the best!
What are you thankful for today?
Saturday, October 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
I'm thankful that your dad is okay, been there, done that, with my dad. I'm also thankful that I don't have to go anywhere today...it's pajama day;)
Oh! Those days are the best!
We need a pajama day around here!
God is so good!! Give your dad and mom a hug from us!! We do miss all your smiling faces at CWC! Hope your dad has no problems with following the docs orders as he recoups!
(would love to drop him a card - can you email me with their (and yours too!) new addresses - patterson01ATcomcast.net and you do know to change the AT to @!)
I'm so thankful your dad is doing well. Also thankful for crisp fall Saturdays spent with the family.
Wow! it had been a few days since i read your blog and I am in schock after hearing aboutyour dad. Hope all is better....we prayed for him tonight, even tho it is days gone by....please send him our love.
Post a Comment