
That's the call. Go and make disciples. What's the best way to do that? Do you go plant churches across the world? Do you disciple the nationals in their countries one on one? Do you work to change the destructive behaviors so that those behaviors don't get passed from one generation to another? Do you meet the physical needs and provide them food, clothing, shelter and the possibility of an education? What's necessary and what's the best path? Honestly, I don't know. I have seen first hand that if people are hungry and unhealthy physically, it's more difficult to talk to them about spiritual things. You have to meet them where they are. Check out Matthew 25. We need to offer food, drink, clothing, help to the sick and visit those needing a visit. Sometimes they may need to hear the gospel during that visit, sometimes they might just need encouragement. It really doesn't matter except that we go and we visit and meet needs both physical and spiritual in the name of Christ.
The task is daunting sometimes. I'm overwhelmed sometimes just by people in my small circle that are in need, let alone all around the world those who are hurting and in need. One verse that always brings me comfort is 1 Corinthians 3:6 which says that "I (Paul) planted, Apollos watered, but God caused the growth". That's our job--to plant, to water and then watch God cause the growth. Even if we don't see the fruit, we've been obedient and God will reward. Sometimes I get to reap the rewards of someone else's planting and watering and sometimes someone else will reap where I planted and watered. In all honesty, we deserve no credit. God caused the growth. God doesn't need us. He owns the cattle on a thousand hills. He could meet every single need across the world with a blink of the eye or a snap of the finger. He spoke the world into being. He could do a better job without us. BUT He chooses to involve us. We need to take every opportunity and plant and water and then watch God do amazing things, because after all we serve an amazing God!
Are you planting and are you watering somehow and somewhere? If not, pray and I know God will give you the opportunity.
You can check out this blog if you want to read about opportunities around the world. Amanda is the director of Visiting Orphans. We are travelling with this organization to Uganda and Ethiopia in December.

Visiting Orphans....just one way that we can be the hands and feet of Jesus.



No comments:
Post a Comment