Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it. Hebrews 13:2
I feel like I'm always telling you what I'm not good at ---I won't disappoint you today. Hospitality, it's not my gift. I love people, but showing traditional hospitality stresses me out.
Anyway, it's been a rough week. Nothing life shattering and compared to the big problems in the world, nothing that won't just leave a small mark on my memory. Last week, Elizabeth's teacher told us that she thought that Elizabeth had some kind of auditory processing disorder. We've kind of suspected this for some time, but we were trying to eliminate some other possibilities first (we had her hearing thoroughly tested, four hours of reading tutoring a week this summer and speech therapy for the past four months). The teacher specifically told Derek that she didn't know if Elizabeth would be able to keep up and survive the first grade. (If you don't know, we are at an academically advanced school. I'm not sure I would survive any grade here!) Anyway, we met with her teacher and put a plan in place. Her teacher was more than willing to work with Elizabeth and us. We felt good about things. We told her that Elizabeth's grades didn't matter. We just want her to learn.
So Monday, I talked to her speech therapist who is also a reading specialist. She ran a quick exercise with Elizabeth and said that she definitely thinks there's something going on. We are just on the front end of this, so I really don't understand it all. I was a little saddened by the news, just wondering what all is ahead for Elizabeth. Then I read a note in Elizabeth's folder telling us that her 1st grade teacher is resigning effective next Friday. I immediately was in tears. We adore this teacher! This is the teacher that Matthew had last year. She is a wonderful grandmotherly teacher that loves my kids like no other teacher we've ever had. I'm sad for me. I'm sad for Elizabeth...just sad all around.
Derek met us for dinner and I showed him the note. On top of all of that, Matthew and I had been battling over homework while Elizabeth was in speech therapy. Why does a 2nd grader think that they know everything? Anyway, I was just tired. We're in the restaurant and Matthew's fussing and I'm on the verge of tears and this sweet woman walks up to me and says, "Your children are just beautiful."
I said, "Thank you. I have one that is melting down right now (he's sitting all by himself in a booth pouting), but thanks."
She says, "They're still such a joy. They really are beautiful."
I walked away humbled and feeling a bit chastised. God sent an angel to remind me just how precious my children truly are. Thanks for the reminder God because I'm feeling tired and worn out right now.
Matthew ordered a salad and midway through dinner needed more dressing. I go back to the counter and ask for an extra packet of dressing and the guy tells me it's 25 cents. "I'll go get my wallet" I say and this same lady stands up (I guess she was waiting on a to go order) and says, "I'll pay for it" and she did.
I sent Matthew over to thank her. God sent an angel to show us hospitality just by offering a word of encouragement and paying 25 cents for an extra package of 1000 island dressing. It's a lesson I'll never forget.
Don't miss those opportunities God gives you. The small things do matter!
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Wow, Alicia. Thanks for sharing. Isn't it wonderful how God was watching it all unfold and knew exactly what you needed at that very moment. I pray that I can listen and obey God in the moment like that sweet lady did.
Not good at hospitality? Well you make up for it in compassion and encouragement!!!
Have you ever thought about homeschooling? I know, I know, none of my business and I used to loathe people saying that to me … but anyway, it might be a good option for avoiding homework and for Elizabeth's unique learning style. I have a unique learner too (well 2 actually) and he is THRIVING in homeschool. Just a thought.
And she is too!
Wow, great post. I am very encouraged by that. Sometimes we need little reminders from God.
Love keeping up with you Alicia and for the record with 1 graduating this year 1 a sophmore 1 in 8th grade and little micah now in 5th grade- it doesnt get any easier- we always do the best we can and lean on the lord to do the rest.....we have had teachers we adored and teachers we have not cared to much for but - some one has to do it and some are better than others BUT we always know our kids best---trust your instincts- we have cried many nights and days too for that matter but in the end God always comes through- our boys have been in private school and public school and there are pros and cons for both- never home schooled them but often thought about it just always a sissy to take the leap! however with Zach on the verge of graduating- we know we did our best! it wasnt always easy but it was always worth it! You and derek are fantastic parents- and you will get through it- sometimes it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel but we know it is there! Remember the kids are learning too- how to gr ow up how to behave what is expected----- its a tough world out there and sometimes i think we force them to grow upt o fast- take your time and enjoy them while they are young, in the good and the bad- and remember God will always mae a way- he didnt promis it would be easy only that he would be with us!
Post a Comment