Sunday, May 31, 2009

And That's What You Get For Crying...

On the last day of school ENA has an awards ceremony. Matthew's first grade teacher decided prior to the ceremony to give all her students a "fun award". Derek and I were in Stephen's room at the time (we didn't know Mrs. W was going to give awards). We were however aware that Stephen's teacher was going to say a prayer of blessing over each child, so we were hanging out in 3rd grade.

One of the other 1st grade parents comes and tells me that Matthew was looking for mom and dad. I go to his classroom and he is in full meltdown, tears and all. Rob and Robyn (probably the kindest people on earth) are trying to console Matthew. The problem, Mrs. W. awarded Matthew with the "most injuries" award. Any of you that know Matthew will not find this shocking. He's had two sets of stitches in his head already! He does tend to get hurt a lot mostly because he's not paying attention. And then if you give him sympathy...watch out!! He'll work it for sure!

So Matthew tells me that he told his teacher he didn't want the award. Nice....I go and get Derek because seriously, why does everything with my kids have to be high drama? We talk to Matthew and tell him that he needs to apologize because he was ungrateful, etc. I ask him what award he wanted to get? He says "most creative" or "best in math". I told him that you can't receive best in math if you don't work hard for it--which he didn't!

So, before the ceremony he apologizes to Mrs. W. She asks him what award he would've wanted and he told her. So after the ceremony, we're having a pizza party and Mrs. W says, "Oh, I forgot to give one very special award" and what does she do, she gives Matthew a most creative and math award.

And that my friends is what you get when you cry!!!

(You can almost see the play by play except we don't have the "meltdown" picture!)




4 comments:

Nicole @ Four Real said...

Oh Alicia! That boy cracks me up! Steve and I might have him in our SS class. I can't wait! :)

CEU said...

There's a part of me who's on board with the grateful speech, but I SO think he deserved the Most Creative award!!! That's true.

Anonymous said...

I don't blame Matthew- I wouldn't want "the most injuries" award either! Surely, she could have come up with a better award than that for him- well, I guess she did - eventually. Don't be too hard on him- I know he needs to learn respect- but, be honest, would you get all excited about being the most injured?

Monica Peterson said...

I laughed out loud! My oldest, Abby, is so ULTRA-dramatic...and we try to aknowledge it but not over do it with the sympathy (just as you were saying with Matthew)..because she "works" it too. So funny, I can relate! p.s. I've been reading your blogs lately and enjoying them! Hope you have an enjoyable summer! Say hi to your fam for me!!