It really struck a chord with me because sometimes people think that if you're infertile, you should just adopt. That's the alternative to not being able to have biological children. But adoption is not an alternative. We could've remained "child free" and that's what it would've been...not childless, just child free. We'd have a lot more money, a lot more flexibility and a lot less grey hairs and wrinkles. We know people who have chosen to remain "child free" and have been able to do great things for God's kingdom. Things that might've been harder if they had children.
We just knew that we wanted children. Selfishly, I didn't want to grow old by myself and not be able to tangibly see God's truth being passed to the next generation. I know so much more now and I'm more educated in parenthood and adoption although I still have so much to learn. Parenting is hard work!! Oh goodness, I always say that if anyone really knew how hard it'd be ahead of time, they'd definitely reconsider becoming parents. But on the flip side of the hard work, children bring so much joy and blessing. They make me laugh. They make me smile. As much as the noise drives me crazy sometimes, I miss it when the house is quiet and they are away. To hear Elizabeth call me momma or to get one of Matthew's waist crunching hugs or to see Stephen showing kindness or compassion to someone else...it's just the best. They have childlike faith that truly believes God for the impossible. They continue to pray for sweet brother to come home from Africa on days when I just can't utter the words out of my mouth because my faith is weak.
Adoption is an invitation. It is an invitation from the Father to learn more about Him. It's an invitation for Him to reveal Himself through His children that aren't biologically yours. It's an invitation to learn how to love more sacrificially and unselfishly by opening your home to a child that needs a home. I'm so glad God invited us and I'm so glad that we said yes. Is He inviting you? If you'll accept the call and the invitation, I do believe that God will not disappoint you. It won't be easy, it will be hard, it will cost you lots of money that you may not even have, but God is faithful.
The one who calls you is faithful, and He will do it. I Thess. 5:24
I just can't imagine life without these three. I'm so thankful that God gave us the invitation.



1 comment:
LOVE this thought, Alicia! So well put! THANK YOU!
Post a Comment