
So, I know you're all dying to know. How's the marathon training going? I'd say it's not really going anywhere.
You see, I got a training partner and her name is Angela aka Big Nanny. Did you read my post yesterday? She's a Barnabus in my life. Sometimes she's a Paul because her kids are older and I bounce all kinds of parenting things off her, but for the most part, she's a Barnabus.
We've known each other for years, but it wasn't until she moved to our neighborhood years ago that we became great friends. She became a "walking partner" and we'd solve all the world's problems and our own as we'd walk.
Big Nanny decided she wanted to run the half marathon as well. And so, I got a training partner and she got one too. Problem is, we're both too soft-hearted for one another. As soon as one of us says, "That's all I've got", we stop running (which sometimes happens after a very short run). In defense of our lack of discipline and endurance, she came home from Africa with bronchitis and then I got bronchitis not too long after that. It's really hard to run if you can't breathe well. I agree that it's a pretty lame excuse, but it's pretty much all we have.
Let's face it. Neither one of us like early morning workout meetings. We don't like to sweat. We don't like pain. We don't like that everyone on the track passes us up because it seems that everyone can run for miles except for us.
And so, maybe we're walking the half marathon or maybe I just donated $100 to Music City. Either way, I'm so thankful for my Big Nanny Barnabus. We may not lose any weight training for this thing (I use the word training very loosely), but the bonds of friendship are deepening. We very well might have world peace by April 30th if we keep at this (I'm kidding, of course).



3 comments:
That is great that you two are training! You girls can do it!
hahaha! We need a Becky to train us, and I'm absolutely sure that world peace is on the way. And you have to remember what the goal is: to not send a text that says you're not going to the rec. :) love you!
I'm getting spoiled with two Alicia posts in one week! Keep 'em coming!
This post reminds me that the time you are spending as "iron sharpens iron" is not wasted!
~H
Post a Comment