Friday, February 25, 2011

Character--It Matters

My latest book that I finally finished reading is Louder Than Words: The Power of Uncompromised Living by Andy Stanley.

The title comes from the phrase that "actions speak louder than words". Isn't that so true? The premise of the book is all about character. Character is something that is lacking in our society, so I found the book intriguing because of that. I want to be sure that my life has character. I want to be sure that my actions are lining up with my words.

Some of my favorite quotes:
We are all, like trees, subjected to the stormy elements of life. And when the storms come, we either snap or grow stronger. What makes the difference is not the ferocity of the storm but the depth of our character.

Our feelings are wonderful followers, but they are terrible leaders.

He's (God) not just interested in your destination. He's interested in your journey as well.


And this paragraph, wow, what a challenge to men:
This past summer a guest speaker came to our church with a message that challenged my whole way of thinking. He began with a simple question: "Are you a man of character?" Yet it was the way he defined character that especially convicted me. He explained, "When you look into the face of a man's wife, you will see just what he is as a man. Whatever he has invested in or withheld from her is reflected in her countenance."

And here's the challenge...Psalm 15...who gets an inside track with God?
Here's a description of a man/woman of character based on this Psalm:
Their walk is blameless.
They do what is right.
They tell the truth.
They don't gossip.
They don't mistreat people.
They side with those who are right.
They keep their word.
They lend money to those in need without interest.
They don't take advantage of people for financial gain.

My heart's desire is to raise children who have character and it begins with me. I need to work on those areas where I am weak. One area is my prayer life. I tend to pray very selfishly. I'll leave you with this last quote:
We fail to pray for the things that will benefit us for eternity. If God answered all of our prayers, our character would suffer. For in most cases, our prayers center around the removal of the very circumstances He is using to conform us to His image.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

sounds like a great book! I love some Andy Stanley!