Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tuesday's Takeaway

If you know me well, you know that I love to read. I buy books every time I go to Lifeway...more books than I have time to read. I rarely read a book that I completely dislike. I am not overly critical of books. I feel like I learn something every time I read a book. God speaks to me through books. Yes, He speaks to me through His Word and through music, but I always walk away from books feeling like I heard something from Him loud and clear.



I've picked this book up several times. I think I actually had it in my bookstore basket at one point, but put it back. This is so not like me. If I even think I'm interested in reading a book, I buy it and then I pass it along to someone else knowing that I may never get it back. It doesn't do me any good just sitting on a shelf and I have plenty that are just sitting on the shelf. Derek sometimes wants to clean out our bookshelves because he's neat and tidy like that, but I always think that I might run into someone who needs that book or I just might read it again.

Anyway, I decided not to buy the book. Why, I don't really know. But my sis-in-law got it for me for Christmas. Perfect gift because it was a great read and I finished it today. I cried through several chapters, but it's worth the read. The Chapmans have an incredible story of God's grace, but one thing I learned is that God is in the small details. There is no way that so many details of their lives were just "coincidence". We serve a sovereign God who is involved in the intimate details of our lives. This book reminded me of that. It reminded me that I should cherish each day more because our days are numbered by a sovereign God. It reminded me that my husband truly is a gift and my children are too, even though some days they drive me crazy...just being honest!
But most of all, it was a reminder to me of how loving our God is. There are so many quotes in this book worth holding onto, but the one that grabbed my heart the most was by Hudson Taylor. He says, "May this be your experience; may you feel that the Hand which inflicts the wound supplies the balm and that He who has emptied your heart has filled the void with Himself."

2 comments:

Mom said...

Wow, what a great quote.

Pamela Johnson said...

I read that book this summer, flew through it in one afternoon. was greatly touched by their rawness and their honesty.