Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Raw

So, you may be thinking that I'm going to talk about raw foods...which wouldn't be that unusual considering that Derek went to see Dr. Josh Axe...we may be eating a lot of raw foods around here soon. I'll let you know how that works out for us...thinking it'll last a few weeks. :-)

But really, it's my emotions that are raw this week. My friend Sumer was home from Africa for a few days and well, you don't really know how much you miss someone until you spend a couple of days with them. And then when you have to say good-bye yet again, well it hurts and it hurts deep. But I'm so thankful for Dr. Seuss, because I keep telling myself "don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." I'm so thankful for the friends in my life...those here and those in Africa.

And then it seems that everywhere I turn, someone is struggling in their marriage or they're already separated or divorced and it hurts my heart...it hurts to the core. And as I listen to the stories, it's overwhelming. I don't understand. I feel hopeless. It makes me thankful for my marriage, but that doesn't help my friends whose lives are falling apart.

And then I hear the news about a precious one in Ethiopia that commits suicide or newborn babies that are cold and don't have enough food and I just don't think I can handle any more bad news.

I find this...sometimes I would like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine and injustice in the world, when He could do something about it...but I'm afraid He might ask me the same question. Anonymous

And then I start to wonder, how can the church help? Not just the local church, but the body of Christ...the church as a whole. What's my role in all of this? I don't know why He allows poverty, famine, injustice, heartache or broken marriages? But He is God and I am not and so I will pray to see what I can do since I'm part of the body of Christ. And I'll push through all of these raw emotions and I will stand firm on the verse that says, "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light" and then I will work to only carry the burdens that He asks me to carry. The rest I will lay at His feet and trust Him to take care of them, because He is God and I am not.

2 comments:

Kerry Lopez said...

Satan is on the attack with marriage and it's frustrating. I have some friends with broken marriages and it's so hard watching Satan tell these families lies and squashing out the beauty that God intended for marriage. It also amazes me how many people encourage a divorce rather than reconciliation. God can and will turn a marriage around if we seek Him.

Nicole @ Four Real said...

My heart is filled with so much confusion right now myself Alicia. Thank you for sharing. You are right. Marriages and families are in war. I know all too well. I just finished Radical and I am overwhelmed with reality of what a Christ follower is. I can't help but think the "American Dream" is what has destroyed marriages as well. My heart is so burdened for marriages/families. But I can attest to the realness of God's healing, His power, His grace and the blessing of a saved marriage. It is not too big for Him. :)