Monday, October 25, 2010

I Don't Want To!


It sounds like something my kids would say, but instead it's a conversation that I've been having with the Lord for the last couple of days. A little temper tantrum that I've been throwing for a couple of days. It doesn't change the Lord's mind. I'm still called to do what he's asked me to do and I'll do it, but I want to pout a little just like Jonah. The book of Jonah...talking about people who are different than us and reaching out to those very people. Loving those people that we don't like...maybe they've hurt us, maybe they're just different, but God still calls us to love them.

And in my flesh, I want to like everyone and I want everyone to like me, but let's face it, that's not real life. And so when Sonja posed the question in class about "do we have to like everyone?"...it was a good question and one that I've thought about for hours now. I don't have to like them. I just have to love them and show that love to them whether I like them or not. Easier to type than to actually do.

And so...I'm going to obey...no need to delay....I don't think the ship to Tarshish is leaving anytime soon and the thought of a terrible storm on a ship, then being thrown overboard, then being in the belly of a whale for several days...well, I just think obeying God the first time is easier.

What about you? Who's in your life that's difficult to love? Or who are you supposed to reach out to and show Christ's love because you may be just the person God is sending?

God is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and of great kindness (Jonah 4:2). You may be just the one to deliver that message to someone today. Don't delay!

No comments: