Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Change

You may think this is about all the change that we counted this weekend for VBS, but it's not! Our preschool VBS raised over $1500 through a build-a-bed change offering for Sweet Sleep...more about that in another post.

It's about the change in my life. I've worked for our church for the last several years. First, I worked in women's ministry and learned lots of things and then I transitioned over to preschool ministry. I'm an administrator...it's one of my spiritual gifts although many times I wish it wasn't. I like to organize things and get things running smoothly. I have a logisitical mind and I can tell you why something won't work or what will make it work more effectively. With that sometimes comes a critical spirit, because I can see everything that needs to be fixed. And so, I expected that when I went to work for my friend Angela aka Big Nanny, that there would be conflict. Surprising, God knit our hearts together and I believe we accomplished much for His kingdom. I had the honor and privilege to work alongside a very sweet friend. And we rarely had conflict! And in the process of working in preschool ministry, God gave me many other sweet friends along the way. I won't name them because I would be sure to leave someone out, but you probably know who you are.

And all along God was stirring in me a heart for missions. And so Sumer, Angela, Tabby, Jesse and I headed to Africa last December with Visiting Orphans. And then God gave me an opportunity that I couldn't pass up. I wanted to say yes and I wanted to say no. I didn't want to leave my friends at TSC, but I knew that my passion was for missions and orphans and those that desperately need the love of a Savior. I am willing to go. I am willing to serve, but it's not without cost. Every step of obedience involves some level of sacrifice. My friend Sumer moved to Africa...heartbreaking and yet exciting all at the same time. Sacrifice. I am walking away from a job I absolutely love. Sacrifice. I love Angela, I love the TSC staff, I love those sweet preschoolers and their precious smiles, I love the preschool moms and dads, I love the preschool teachers, oh how I have grown to love each one of them. And yet, God has asked me to say good-bye to this season of my life. I am walking away from what is comfortable and what I love....casual dinners to discuss preschool ministry, pedicures to discuss preschool ministry, trips to Atlanta for preschool conferences and hot dogs at the Varsity (NOT!), a fun and loving staff, etc. But I know that on the other side of sacrifice and obedience is great blessing. I already love working for VO. I have already made new friends and I'm sure I'll make many more. All because God asked me to take a step of faith and walk in new territory.

And just in case you wondered, He had a plan all along. Ashley C. took Sumer's position and Kim P. took mine. They were made for the ministry. They are two incredible women and preschool ministry at TSC has new energy and excitement because of them.


Ashley, Angela, Alicia, Kim

And so, that's the change in my life. And Angela and me, well, I'm sure God has a new season of friendship for us. We were walking partners for awhile and then partners in ministry and who knows what's next. The Lord knows and I trust Him with all of me!

Thanks for all the sweet memories, TSC Preschool! It has been an incredibly fun season of my life! This post was written through tears...shocking I know.

9 comments:

Big Nanny said...

I always knew that preschool ministry would be better if you gave me one year. You gave it a year and a half...it's definitely better because of you! Thankful that the Lord gave us this time to work together. I'm sure we'll cook up another project to work on soon. Love you, friend!

P.S. I always knew that you loved going to the Varsity:)& I desperately need to get back to walking.

Ashley said...

I love you Alicia, your gifts are too numerous to count!

I told Brent that maybe you and I could work on a VO trip to Guatemala! =)

Anonymous said...

What a privilege to work along side you for a time. You are a blessing to me in so many ways.

Autumn said...

So blessed to have you at VO! You are amazing!

ksrowlett said...

You have been such a blessing in my life and the life of my family. I'm so greatful that the Lord has given me the chance to know you better. You have so many precious gifts!

Heather said...

You make me want to do better, be better and pray better. That's the sign of a good friend in my book.

Next on my list...a mission trip with Alicia Jordan!!!

Robyn said...

It has been a wonderful experience getting to know you as a friend! You are always uplifting and encouraging; always pushing for us to be more like Christ. And I second that mission trip with Alicia!

Wife of the Pres. said...

Ditto what BN said: preschool ministry is DEFINITELY better because of you! You will be greatly missed but no doubt God has great plans for you and the new team as well!

BTW, I second a trip with you through VO, except I think I want to go to China. My problem is that I'm not entirely sure that is where God is telling me to go … can't wait to see what God has planned for you at VO in the coming days.

Amanda said...

You have a great friend in Angela as she was the first one to plant the seed in my mind that you would be an awesome asset to VO. She loved you enough to lose you at TSC. And we are now blessed to have young VO!