Monday, March 22, 2010

Saying Goodbye Stinks

I always dread leaving. Sometimes I'm leaving to head out of town...sometimes it's Derek...sometimes it's my kids going to Florida Nanny and Papa's. It's just hard to say good-bye. Why is it that when you travel, the good-byes are harder? Honestly, maybe I should live every day as if it's my last. What if I hugged and kissed every day like it might be my last?

I'm always amazed at how quickly and deeply I love children in other countries. It's not me. It's not in me. My life is full. I don't feel like I have that much more love to give. It's all God. Somehow He expands my heart just a little every trip and one child or two takes a corner of my heart. I come home and think about them, dream about them and pray that God works miracles on their behalf. It can't be explained, but if you've ever gone on a mission trip, I think you can understand.

And so...the good-byes in Costa Rica did not come easy. We had to say good-bye on two separate days to two different groups of kids. It was crushing. And then I spent all my time with this group of 10 people for a week and they became like family. We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner together. We laughed and cried together and we did God's work together. That's what united our hearts...God and His work.





And so saying goodbye stinks. First I said goodbye to a sweet baby Jennifer and Alexis. I cried. Then I said good-bye to Carolina and baby Fernando and sweet Keoshina. I cried. Then I said good-bye to our Costa Rican friends and then to our teammates. And finally to the three Thompson Station girls. I woke up the next day lonely...wishing to see Tiff and Carrie and Maria. And Wednesday morning I will say good-bye again...to my parents, to my dear husband and to my sweet kiddos. And the cycle will only repeat itself when I leave Ethiopia. And so, I'll say it again, saying good-bye stinks...but may the Lord's will be done even though it hurts to say good-bye.

3 comments:

Tabby said...

Praying for you all as you go!! I told Sumer a little piece of my heart is sad to not be gong back with you. Tell Sammy and our Guest home friends Hell-o and tell Fruit that I think of her and pray for her so much!! Can't wait to hear the stories and see the pics. I was thinking about the smell when we walked out of the airport & how happy you would be to be in Africa again :-). Hope to see some Facebook/Blog updates (if you can get the internet to work long enough..lol).

Our Family said...

Have a blast! Hug them super tight, it is so hard to say goodbye! Love ya

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you as you go again to do God's will. You are such an inspiration to me and I just want you to know, I love you. Can't wait to hear about all you see and learn. Wish I were with you.
Carrie