Friday, December 18, 2009

The Second Best Christmas Present

I hope you know that the best Christmas gift ever is Jesus Christ. We are so thankful that God loves us and chose to give His greatest asset, His only Son, on our behalf. Sometimes I get so busy at Christmastime and I'm so familiar with the story, that I forget the miracle of it all...the greatest expression of love that has ever been shown. Our sweet Savior, Jesus Christ.

10 years ago today we were in Florida for Christmas. We received a call at Derek's parents house that Stephen had been born. We were cautiously excited to hear the news knowing that the fate of our son rested in the hands of the birthmom. I've never been in that position, but I've been in a hospital room with a birthmom facing the most difficult decision of her life. That day in the hospital with a different birthmom tugged at my heartstrings and showed me the whole other side of adoption.

Anyway, Stephen joined our family on January. You can go here to read the whole story if you don't already know it.

It's hard to believe that Stephen is 10 years old. Where did the time go? (I'm sounding old when I say that, but it's so the truth!)

Stephen, you have been gifted with an incredible mind. I really don't know how your brain can retain all the history and science facts. Your love for history and science will open many doors in your future. I pray that you'll choose wisely. Every now and then I see glimpses of that tender and compassionate heart that was so evident as a preschooler. I understand that a 10 year old boy has to be tough, but deep down that gift of mercy still exists. God will use that in a mighty way if you'll allow Him. I hope that you'll always be a warrior for Christ. I pray that you'll stand for Jesus until your death. I pray that you'll be faithful just as Stephen in the Bible was faithful to the very end. It's the only time in Scripture that Jesus stands at the right hand of God. Jesus stood for Stephen welcoming him into heaven. May you have that same legacy. Fight the good fight, keep the faith, my son. God will not disappoint. He is so good!
With all my love,
Mom

Happy 10th Birthday to our 2nd best Christmas Present!

3 comments:

Big Nanny said...

Happy Birthday, Stephen!

Ashley said...

Happy Birthday!

The pictures you have been posting are wonderful... who took them?

Erin said...

What a sweet message to your son. :)

And I 2nd the picture comment - gorgeous...the picture, that is. The BOY is handsome. ;)