Sunday, December 6, 2009

Everyone Needs Some Sweet Sleep

When you lie down, you will not be afraid.
When you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
Proverbs 3:24


Every now and then God sends us little bits of encouragement regarding parenting. Every now and then I see my children's pure and innocent hearts...full of God sized faith.

This past week, Jen Gash from Sweet Sleep came and spoke during chapel at my children's school. She spoke about the orphan crisis in Uganda and the desperate need for beds and mosquito nets for these children. (Uganda just passed a law requiring that all children in orphanages have their own bed. Some orphanages have been closed because of this new law.) Matthew came home absolutely convinced that he would do something about this. He said that he wanted to use his $50 bill and his $20 check from his birthday and buy mosquito nets for these children. I told him that was great, but I kind of waited to see if the decision would stick. He mentioned it again the next day and the next. I am so proud of that boy. I see a heart that believes that one person really can make a difference and that warms my heart.

Matthew then told me yesterday that he'd be okay if all he got for Christmas was coal. He said, "At least, I'd get something because some kids don't get anything." I'm so thankful that the Lord is allowing me to see that what we're trying to teach our children does have an impact and that it is soaking into their hearts and minds. I pray that God will give them more passion and a bigger heart for those all around the world who are desperately in need.

So, we're buying mosquito nets with some birthday money and we're buying some more as Christmas presents.

Jen Gash and I will be in Uganda at the same time but in different parts. There is much work to be done everywhere. Let us not grow weary in well doing...
Northern Ugandan children face much adversity. It is an area that has been under attack from the LRA Rebels, who have systematically destroyed villages, killed adults and abducted children. The children, as early as six years old, are used as slaves and child soldiers, forced to kill or be killed. Over 1 million people have been displaced in Northern Uganda – three quarters of these, precious, orphaned children living in child-headed households/huts.

There are lots of ways to help this Christmas!
Here are the specific needs from Sweet Sleep.

Prayer for Jen and Sweet Sleep and their work in northern Uganda.

Notes of love to give to a child she encounters. They can be notes of love, encouragement, your favorite scripture, whatever. Mailed to Sweet Sleep. She’ll pack and take and hand deliver to a child she gets to spend time talking with.

218 mosquito nets. 8,320 Ugandans will die of malaria during the 26 days I will be gone. I will purchase these in Uganda for $8 each. Malaria kills more people in Uganda than HIV/AIDS.

Mattresses for 218 children so they will be able to sleep up off of the ground for the first time in their lives. Mattresses are $50.

Can you imagine not having a blanket to warm you during these chilly nights or sheets to sleep in? 218 more children still need to be able to be warm and snuggly. They can for just $30. $30 purchases a soft, fluffy banket and a Bible.

I hope your family will get involved in some way. Do something! Pray, give or send notes of encouragement to Jen at Sweet Sleep and the children in Uganda. (Like apples of gold in settings of silver is a word spoken in right circumstances. Proverbs 25:11)

Jen Gash
Sweet Sleep
PO Box 40486
Nashville, TN 37204
www.sweetsleep.org

No comments: