Friday, September 11, 2009

Two Fifths of a Second

God used a trip to Zambia to change my life. As I saw a country in bondage to witch doctors and the affect it had on these precious children's lives, my heart was overwhelmed. What things did I have in my life that were holding me back and holding back the plans that God has for me? How was that affecting my children? Was I truly living the abundant life that Jesus called us to in John 10:10? My heart is full even as I think about it because God did a big work in my life that summer and in the months to follow. He showed me things that I guess I needed to go to Africa to see.


God has softened my heart to the poor and needy. He put a special place in my heart for orphans. What is our responsibility in all of this? These are things that we're still trying to figure out. You have to do something...so we give when we see a need, we sponsor a child in Nicaragua, but it just never seems to be enough.

I read this book and it pushed me to ask myself some tough questions.
Crazy Love by Francis Chan...an incredible read.

He talks about how life is a movie and our part is only two fifths of a second. I want my two fifths of a second to count, how about you? He also asks the questions, "If you stopped believing in God today, how would your life change tomorrow?" His point, if your life wouldn't change dramatically, then are you really living a life completely surrendered to God. So, I started talking to Derek about what we should do. Should we downsize and move into a smaller house and give more to missions? Should we adopt an orphan? Should we just sell it all and move to Africa? I tend to jump into things quickly...Derek tends to think things through and pray and wait. If it were up to me and my emotional side, we would have a for sale sign in our yard, an application with the IMB, and an application to an adoption agency for a family of five that I found online who desperately need a home. But God brings logical and emotional minds together (men and women :-), so that there's balance. God wants hearts completely surrendered to Him. Sometimes He uses us in a secular workplace or in a ministry in the US or on the mission field in Africa or central America. The point is not where, the point is that your heart is completely surrendered to Him. Is your yes on the table for God to use to bring Himself glory?

Angela told me that she was probably going to go on a trip to Africa, what did I think? Of course, I thought that was great. "Sumer's going with me, do you want to go?" Big Nanny needs to stop asking me things. She asked me in December of last year if I had thought about joining the preschool staff, I didn't have an answer for her...just that I needed to pray. I had plenty of reasons to run for my life...talk about a tough job, but God pricked my heart to say yes. She then asked me about Africa and God once again pricked my heart to say yes to Ethiopia and Uganda even though that means I might have to say no to Zambia in 2010.

God ordained for "such a time as this" for three hearts that are crazy for Jesus to join Him in changing the world not just here in Tenn., but in Uganda and Ethiopia as well.

From Crazy Love, p. 44 "We have only our two-fifths-of-a-second-long scene to live. I don't know about you, but I want my two-fifths of a second to be about my making much of God. 1 Cor. 10:31 says, 'So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.' That is what each of our two-fifths of a second is about."

Make your two fifths of a second count! Give God the glory!

5 comments:

Big Nanny said...

My mother pointed out this morning that saying: spent many evening hours of walking the streets of CS was completely inappropriate:) I'm sure you thought so too.

I'm going to sit around today and think about some other things to ask you...I'm sure there's plenty more things in the days ahead:)

I'm glad we're going to Africa for just a "second"...that's what I'll keep telling myself.

Betty said...

Now you are getting me all worked up to move and have this new baby have dual citizenship in a place that he/she will never know how blessed he/she truly is. I want to bypass the redtape and GO....

worship4life said...

Alicia -

I had the same exact reaction to Crazy Love. And, yes, the Lord put me with my balance, too. Thankfully or we would be selling our house, too and packing for Haiti. The Lord is moving in our lives and we are trying to follow. Still don't know how it is all going to play out. I am just open to where He leads...got my passport application finally submitted just in case my "yes" is to go. :-) Love you and praying for you all.

jennifer

Sumer said...

It really is such an honor to be your friend, you are an amazing woman of God and I am so excited to go with you to a place you love so much.

Wife of the Pres. said...

I'm CRAZY with you friend and Betty too! I pray EVERY day that we can GO somewhere. As C's business is … well … not as prosperous as it once was I allow myself to wonder too much at times.

If DH said let's move to Ch*na and take in orphans, well I'd be so excited. But you are right: God gives us a balance in our DH's. Still, I won't to be CRAZY for JESUS!!!

I feel like we have another already waiting in China and am looking for him/her all the time, but DH hasn't felt it so I wait knowing God moves us to unison when it is His will and not just my dream.

Proverbs 16:9 (my life verse right now)

And I know you and Derek put your yes on the table a long time ago … as for the five in Rwanda, friend I could not think of a better family! PRAYING!!! Only God knows.

Love your HEART. I honestly don't know how God contained it in your chest when He made it!!!

Les