One year ago today, we went to the orphanage to meet Abigail. She wasn't so sure about us as the pictures reveal. It was a sweet day with several aspects of an Ethiopian ceremony involved.
Here Derek and Abigail were supposed to be cutting the cake, but she wasn't in agreement and she let us know!
Here I am trying to console her, but nothing really worked.
| And I guess this would be our happy gotcha day picture! |
| Here they were singing a goodbye song as part of the ceremony. |
And the picture below is probably my all time favorite (thank you Erin for capturing these moments). This picture represents the joys and sorrows of adoption. As I rejoice today that Abigail is part of my family, it is done knowing that there is great loss involved as well. I am thankful for those who poured into her life for the first 2 1/2 years. We will never know her full story, but the sorrow and hurt is represented well in this picture. I am sure she was confused and grieving what she was walking away from....her friends, her nannies, her bed and her security.
But GOD IS GOOD, and she is thriving in our home. Her paperwork said that she was non-verbal and this girl uses more words in a day than probably all three other children combined. She is making friends at church and at preschool and loves to boss people around. Every night before bed she asks for the schedule for the next day. She always wants to know if we're going to the store and if we're meeting daddy for food. (I guess we do a lot of shopping and eating!)
We are so thankful for God's gift to our family. We didn't realize that our family wasn't complete without her, but we now know that all along it was God's plan for her to be forever ours.



No comments:
Post a Comment