Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Valentine Worth Remembering

Summer 1990...I had just returned from being an exchange student in Germany for a year. My parents had changed churches while I was gone and this was the first Sunday I had been to the new church. I met Derek that Sunday...I don't remember how, but we met. (Just a side note, my dad and Derek had been church ushers together, but Dad never mentioned to Derek that he had a daughter.)

For me, it was instant attraction, but he was established in his career and I was leaving for college in the fall (we are 6 years apart in age). And so, we became friends and hung out some together along with the other singles at our church.

I left for college and ended up getting engaged to a great guy. Problem was....we fought like cats and dogs. He really was a good Christian guy, but the two of us together were not a good mix. We called off the wedding just 6 days before we were to get married. I think God rescued us from each other. He is now happily married and I am so thankful that God intervened and led us to different spouses.

I was supposed to marry the other guy in May 1993. We called it off, he moved to Michigan and we tried to work things out. In September of 93 we just realized that it wasn't going to work. Our personalities were not good for each other. There were lots of hard feelings and drama and all that you might expect, but God taught me so much through all of this.

Derek and I had our first date in October of 1993. (My dad had mentioned several times that I needed to date someone like Derek, but girls just can't call and ask for a date). We went to dinner and a movie (Rudy...remember that one?). Anyway, poor Derek is all I have to say. I had about 25 questions and he probably thought I was a crazy woman. Honestly though, I was thinking, if this isn't going to work, then let's just figure that out early on and move on. But it did work and Derek can make me laugh like no one else. He is funny and silly and sarcastic and we just clicked.

February 1994...I think we were celebrating Valentine's Day at a restaurant....you think I would remember these things, but I think all my brain cells and memories vanished when we decided to have 3 kids under 3 years old. Anyway, I had an opportunity to move to Germany in the summer. We just started talking about our future together, etc. and next thing I knew, we were getting married. I don't think either one of us planned that conversation that night, it just happened. You get two practical people together and I guess they just put a plan together and decide to get married. We told my parents the next day and I think it's probably one of the only times that I've ever seen my dad speechless (in a good way, I think). We planned to get married in September 1994, but we decided to have a simple wedding and get married in April 1994.

And so in less than a year's time, I was engaged, called off a wedding and then married someone else. And let me just say, I got the better end of this deal. Derek is calm and patient...I am not. Derek rarely says a bad thing about anyone...let me just say, I wish I had that quality. Derek thinks things through...I just jump in and do damage control afterwards. Derek likes things neat and tidy...I am messy and cluttered. Derek loves unconditionally even when I am stubborn.

I think our story is just a reminder that God has plans and they are so much better than our plans. He works in mysterious ways, but He is trustworthy. And this February, 18 years later from that first Valentine, I am so glad that I met a church usher the summer of 1990. Who knew all that God had in store? I am so thankful that God writes the storyline of my life and not me!