Friday, May 27, 2011

His Ways


In 2010, I picked which trip I wanted to lead in 2011. I picked the May trip because it was the only trip going to Ethiopia and Uganda in 2011. I love Ethiopia, but I really wanted to go back to Uganda.

Well, you know the drill. God's ways aren't always our ways and we never made it to Uganda. Wouldn't you know that the day we were supposed to fly into Uganda was the same day that the new president was being sworn in and the old president was trying to return to Uganda from Kenya. The road from the airport to Kampala in Uganda was closed and their were riots on the road. So, Visiting Orphans wisely made the decision for the team not to travel and to stay in Ethiopia.

The team was understandably disappointed. We were so excited about visiting some new ministries in Uganda, but God had one place on His heart and that's where we spent a lot of our "extra" time in Ethiopia. Restoration Orphanage. As a team, we painted, we held babies, we bathed babies, we cleaned bathrooms, we sorted through clothes, we played with some older kids who desperately need some love and attention, and we fed some babies that are entirely too small. Actually some of us wept over some babies that are so tiny. It's just not right and when life in Ethiopia is already so hard, those images are the ones that I can't shake. I held one baby that was so tiny, you didn't even know you had a baby in your arms. It just felt like a blanket in my arms. The pictures don't even do justice to how tiny these babies are.



BUT, after just a few days of some good formula and some consistent feedings. They were filling out. There is hope, there is redemption and there is a future for these precious babies. Thank you to Ashli and Sumer for caring and for not turning your back to those in need. The task ahead seems impossible, but then again I know that we serve a mountain moving God and that His ways always prevail!

And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward. Matthew 10:42

No comments: