Our children give us a lot of blog material...although I must say that if they had a blog, we probably give them plenty of material as well. I'm sure they would be quick to share how unperfect we really are. But if you've ever had them in Sunday School or been around our family for any extended period of time, you already know that!
I've talked a little about visiting the landfill in Ethiopia. It was a place that words can't even describe. The garbage everywhere, the fires burning, the ash blowing through the air, the smell, oh the smell, really the stench. I prayed that I wouldn't vomit, just because I didn't want to offend the sweet children that call this place home. I just kept thinking over and over that no one should ever have to live this way or in this horrible place. Once again, God had taken me to a place where I realized that without Him, there is absolutely no hope. But this is why I am going back to this very place at the end of March. Because I do believe that with God, there is always hope. Sometimes God uses us to bring that hope both in physical and spiritual ways.
Sweet Matthew has a heart for missions. Matthew's going to be the guy that is willing to throw it all on the line immediately. His wholehearted devotion is something to be admired.
He came to my mom and me a few weeks ago with tears in his eyes and said, "I wish I could go live in the dump. I would live in the dump so that those kids wouldn't have to."
I quickly tried to process all of this, because I hadn't talked to him about Africa in days and this was out of the blue. I said, "Well Matthew, that is why mommy is going in March. We're going to try to help those kids."
He said, "I'd go right now. I'd live there so that they don't have to."
And that my friend is faith and love that I believe can move mountains. Because if that could really happen, I have no doubt that Matthew would live there just so they didn't have to.
Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13



1 comment:
I know that sweet, passionate boy meant every word of it. He'll be joining us all in Africa in a few years!
H
Post a Comment