Anyway, I understand to an 8 year old, a birthday is a big deal. There was a time when we threw the big "invite your friends" party, but then I got tired and decided it's expensive to do that three times a year. There's also the competition/comparison problem between women. (This is a whole other blog post) When I was in Zambia last summer, I felt like I was released from people pleasing. I was set free from feeling the need to live up to someone else...to compare my marriage or my parenting or my child's party to someone else's. I've been there, done that and I'm not jumping into that pit again.
Anyway, I told Matthew he could have a party or get a Nintendo DS. He opted for the DS. We did go away with some sweet friends for the weekend. We visited Beech Bend in Bowling Green on Friday and I got incredibly dizzy and sick. I've never felt so terrible in my life. Too many spinning rides, I suppose. Or maybe those birthdays are affecting me and I am feeling a day or two older!
Here's Matthew cracking up at his silly daddy acting scared on the previous ride.
We celebrated Matthew's birthday Friday evening...yes he loved wearing a crazy hat. It attracted a lot of attention (Matthew loves it!) and he also got free desserts for everyone.
On Saturday, we headed to Lost River Cave. Only to take pictures and realize that it was closed because of all the rain.

So we headed further north, to Diamond Caverns. And because I am not the birthday planner, it never occurred to me to ask the tour guide if we could sing Happy Birthday to Matthew in the deepest part of the cave. But the joy of good friends, Mr. Brian spoke up and a group of 25 on a tour of Diamond Caverns sang to Matthew. He enjoyed every last minute because like I've said before...he likes the attention! Overall, I think his birthday was a success!



2 comments:
What a great number eight bday! I bet this will be the most memorable one yet. Full of fun, surpises, thrill rides, screaming and lots of dessert! Who could ask for anything more!!! We, the Apples, were actually on the very same ride the next day...and mamaApple ain't so young anymore...!I think I am still dizzy thinking about it:)LOL!!!
ha! read your blog and had to comment. I am NOT the birthday planner either. We do a family party and that's it. Never done a friends party because of the cost of it all. It's expensive enough with family! I've been begged for YEARS to do a "friends" party...and I have felt guilty because I don't...because EVERYBODY ELSE is doing it, and I'm the stick-in-the-mud mom that doesn't. We try to make a memorable day with aunts/uncles and tons of cousins that live here in MI! You're a good mom! Big party bashes or not! :)
Post a Comment