Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Livin' in a Swamp

You may think that the Jordan family has gone missing, but we have not. I've been preparing for VBS with an incredible team of people. This week all the months of planning and hard work come together. It is Crocodile Dock at the church and it's always great fun to see the rewards of our hard work. VBS is nothing that anyone can do on their own. We have over 300 preschoolers there in the morning along with 150 workers to make it all possible. We do it a second time in the evening with another 130 people. It makes for long days, but watching a preschooler sing and learn about God....well, there's just not anything better.

I'm so thankful for the great team God has put together. I want to give them a quick shout out in no particular order.

I'm thankful for...

Ashley C and her incredibly sweet and caring spirit. She is simply a joy to be around. Her love for younger preschoolers is contagious!

Amber and her patience with a team of people that put incredible demands on her. How she keeps it all straight, I'll never know. How she doesn't get frustrated with us...it's simply God's power and love shining bright in her life. She is the best preschool assistant in the world...hands down.

Leigh is a "get it done" girl and I love that about her. She takes a task, runs with it and completes it way ahead of time. She does not procrastinate. I do not know how she physically does all that she does. Maybe she should teach a class on time management. :-)

Christine is straight forward and willing to take on just about any challenge. She doesn't waste time; she just nips it in the bud. I love that about her!

Robyn, well I admire her for her spiritual maturity and her calming spirit. She is a great leader with a compassionate heart.

Teresa and her ability to recruit volunteers. She takes a task and sees it through to completion and I know that her area is always covered well. I love that I can completely trust her!

Kim and her sweet spirit and great smile. She also has a gift for recruiting volunteers. She spent many Sunday mornings walking the preschool hallways getting volunteers. Teresa and Kim partner together in an amazing way. They never give up and they have recruited more volunteers this year than ever! They do their job well!

Tracey and her attention to details. Tracey and I have worked together in VBS for years. We have learned a lot from each other. Tracey has the experience and the heart to make sure that all is running well. Tracey has a spirit of excellence in all that she does.

Ashley L and her heart to do things right. Ashley has a sweet and kind spirit. She is a joy to work with and I'm so thankful for her friendship. Kind words are always on her lips and she always knows when to offer words of encouragement.

Sumer and her willingness to go above and beyond. She's always willing to help. I love that I am learning to see straight to her heart. Oh, and she also bought some awesome snacks for her workers....some of which I sampled. :-)
Angela...she's the one responsible for all my long days and nights. I would've never even considered the job/ministry if she wasn't one of my dearest friends. She's not perfect and neither am I, but these two Michigan girls understand one another. She is a team leader that is fun to follow!

There are so many more to thank. The girls mentioned above are on the VBS leadership team. They have been the hands and feet for VBS. I am so thankful for the hours and hours of time that they have invested. We haven't been without conflict. We haven't been without drama. We haven't been without hurt feelings. We have thought about quitting and never doing VBS again, but iron sharpens iron and sometimes it hurts and sometimes it's hard.
God never said the job would be easy. He did however say, Be strong and do not lose courage for there is reward for your work!
God is working it all out for His glory!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, no, I am not reading blogs again. My husband lets me know when I need to. ;)

It IS a privilege to serve on this VBS team.

Alicia is an incredible woman of God. Her leadership is in her actions. She remembers every detail of any previous VBS and applies that to make the next one even better. She is integrity. She is always willing to discuss tough issues and apply the Word of God to find the solution. Angela is incredibly smart and blessed to haver her as are we all! I know Alicia is thinking she did not write this to get any compliments, but I do not have a blog! I can only comment. =)

Love,
Tracey

P.S. Alicia also has the uncanny ability to do difficult labor and never sweat or have a hair out of place! You are beautiful, Alicia! =)

Big Nanny said...

Thanks for the sweet words...ditto on all that Alicia said.

Notice that "sweet" was not mentioned in my description...people never use that word to describe me ;)

Alicia (dna) said...

Thanks for the kind words, Tracey.

Big Nanny--sweet wouldn't be in my description either. The world can only handle so much sweetness...there has to be some sassiness to go around! :-)

Anonymous said...

First of all... Big Nanny, 4:38 a.m. What's up with that???

If I have one word for Alicia it's EXAMPLE. You're an awesome administrative example and an incredible life example. You're an example of integrity and character and I really appreciate that in you!

Ashley L.

Sumer said...

Alicia, you are awesome! I have told my husband many times that the more I know you the more I just love you.

You are straight to the point which makes you a good leader, a little bit sassy which makes you fun, and you are pure of heart which makes you Godly.

It is absolutely an honor and blessing to work with you and all of those amazing other ladies mentioned.

CEU said...

4:38 a.m. is nothing compared to Sumer's 9:12 a.m. post. That was during VBS!

Alicia, Thank you. You are absolutely precious, and honest, and wise. Truly, you could subcontract yourself out across the world to become a VBS consultant. I love that you are heart motivated. I never jump in without knowing who I'm working with...and I'll always jump in with you ladies. You're amazing and fun! :-)