Monday, December 1, 2008

It's Cold!

Any of you that know me well know that I do not like cold weather. So many were excited about possible snow today, but I know that with snow comes very cold weather. I know some of you are surprised because after all I am a Michigan girl, but my body prefers much warmer weather...like 78 or 80! Since winter has officially arrived in Tennessee (we had snow flurries today), I will spend the next 2-3 months with a very cold nose, cold fingers and cold toes. Even right now in my 72 degree house, my feet are freezing.

This morning though as I thanked God for so many things, I thanked him for our house and for heat. There are memories etched in my mind from Africa and then these pictures from Derek's trip to Nicaragua. Take a minute to look at them.

We live in abundance! We are so blessed!! We are richer than millions of people around the world, simply because we have a house.




Derek was able to help build a "plastic house" for this family. It's not much, but it's better than some. They were also able to build a bed for them, so that they wouldn't have to sleep on the mud floor.


4 comments:

Nicole @ Four Real said...

Perspective. It can hit you right between the eyes sometimes. Then it hits you right in the heart.

Ashley said...

I have to add (since I know the story). Those 2 sweet parents, when it rains, stand up holding their children all night long so that the children can sleep and not get wet and muddy... and then continue with life the next day not having even sat down all night. (That is before they had the bed built for them... can you imagine how THAT alone changed their lives.)

Betty said...

I WAS THERE and still am THERE!

The most heartbreaking part for me about this VERY TRUE story is that...for that family their "plastic home" WAS and IS enough! If only I could be that content and never want for more!

Russ and Karla Patterson said...

We don't seem to know the true meaning of "need" in this country. This certainly gives us all something to be praying for! Thanks for sharing!