So Stephen comes in from school today and announces that it was a double bad day. Stephen had to go see the nurse 7 times. (do you think he's a bit dramatic?) It seems that he needed a band-aid, then lost his band-aid, then smashed his fingers in the door, then had to see her 4 times for anti-itch cream because of mosquito bites.
But the second half of the bad day was on Matthew's part. He had to go see the principal, Stephen announces. So we pull out Matthew's folder to see that he got an N today (two offenses). One for not listening to directions and the 2nd for misbehavior on the playground. We ask him what the 3rd offense is because you have change your card color 3 times to get sent to the principal's office. He doesn't remember, so he says. So I make a phone call to his teacher and she doesn't know anything about him going to the principal's office because they had a substitute teacher today because she (his K teacher) was testing the kids today. So, Matthew's substitute teacher just happens to be Elizabeth's 3 yr. old teacher from last year and a friend, so I call Anna to find out what the story is. She said that Matthew was in a mood today and kept pushing her further and further and so he changed his color the first time, then when they lined up to come in from recess, he got in line, but then decided to get out of line and then was banging on the door once they were back inside. I asked, "Did he go to see Mr. West today?" Her response, "No he didn't get sent to the office."
So, I go back downstairs and begin talking to Matthew again. What did Mr. West say. Matthew said that Mr. West said that he needed to start on a yellow card in the morning (which is a warning card). I told him that Ms. Anna said that he didn't actually go to the principal's office. He says that he did.
"Well how did you get there?" I ask.
"I just took a hall pass"
Derek says, "How did you get the hall pass?"
Matthew "We have to have a partner, but this time I just went on my own."
Derek and I are still trying to process everything. Could he have really made it to the principal's office without his teachers knowing.
I then say, "If they didn't send you, why did you go?"
He says something along the line of, "I thought I was going to have to go because I was going to get a red card, so I just went down and told him that I didn't listen and misbehaved on the playground."
What did he say?
He said, that I have to start on yellow tomorrow. (It's his story and he's sticking to it)
I say, "Matthew are you sure you're telling the truth, because I'm going to call Mr. West tomorrow and ask him if you came to see him."
He thinks for a minute, "Okay, I'll just tell you the truth. I didn't go to the principal's office."
SERIOUSLY, what is this elaborate story all about? Let me tell you. In 3rd grade, I changed my report card. My parents questioned, I denied. We sat with the teacher and I still said, "I don't know who did it, I didn't do it." Payback time for me I guess.
So, let me tell you how sweet God is. Derek pulls out our kids' devotional book for tonight and the title is "The Courage to Tell the Truth". When Derek announced the title, Matthew hit his head and said "Oh great, I lied today." Elizabeth then said, "I lied too today about the cotton balls" (Her story to her dad was that I gave her 100 cotton balls to play with or do crafts with, who knows what the plan was)
I'm just thankful that perhaps we will make it through the year without having to visit the principal's office. However, Derek and I can both see Matthew just making a trip down there and announcing "I need to see Mr. West". And Matthew can charm just about anyone, so he'd probably get in his office without too many questions.
Do you see what we're dealing with? This is why the latest book I read is titled "Have a NEW kid by Friday". Kevin Leman's whole premise is that it's about character and attitude. Derek just offered to trade kids with another family on Sunday night. :-)
You have to love all of them.....they're just a work in progress like the rest of us!
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment